Titer Tests – School Requirement if Immunization Records Missing

If you have a child going to school you probably are receiving those lengthy health forms to complete prior to the start of the school year. Most schools want a copy of the child’s immunization records. What if you don’t have those records? You can:
  1. Get all the immunizations again if your health provider will allow you or
  2. Get a titer test to show that your child has the antibodies for those immunizations.
Titer Tests for School Admissions An antibody titer is a laboratory test that measures the presence and amount of antibodies in blood. The antibody level in the blood is a reflection of past exposure to an antigen or to something that the body does not recognize as belonging to itself. Serum titers are blood tests that measure whether or not you are immune to a given disease. If you were vaccinated as a child for Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR) then your titer test would be positive indicating that you have sufficient antibody levels in the blood to reflect the past exposure to the vaccine. This test is typically called a MMR Immunity blood test. You can order a MMR Immunity Profile and send the results to the school as proof of immunity. Varicella-Zoster Virus or Chicken Pox Antibody, is another frequently required vaccination or proof of immunity. This titer test is also available and recently been seen as part of the health requirements for admission into college and/or nursing school. Lastly, Hepatitis B is another titer test that is available to fulfill requirements for Hepatitis immunity. Please check your school requirements to be sure they will accept the titer tests in lieu of an immunization record. It’s also a good idea to have them review the test to be sure they will accept them at the school’s health department. Take Control of Your Health. Medical Disclaimer: The information included on this site is for informational purposes only. It is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. The reader should always consult his or her health care provider to determine the appropriateness of the information for their own situation or if they have any questions regarding a medical condition or treatment plan. The writer is not a physician or other health provider.