One of our great local coffee roasters, Sommo Coffees, provided this information to help de-mystify the coffee debate.
What are we to believe?Current research has revealed impressive and astonishing health benefits and uncovered what and when coffee is healthy or not.
Research ResultsIn 2005 we learned coffee helps the Digestive System, Central Nervous System, Cognitive performance, Muscle Movement and is full of antioxidants, on the level of a super fruit! One cup of coffee has more antioxidants than a whole pomegranate, cup of blueberries, cup of broccoli and 4 times that of green tea. Later it was revealed that coffee antioxidants, in particular, bolster the immune system, slows the aging process, and plays a significant role in protecting the cell walls against destructive factors. In 2009 new research based on long term studies and analysis found coffee:
- cut risk of Type 2 Diabetes by 25-30% (18 studies, covering 500,000 people)
- Lowers risk of Alzheimer’s disease by 65%, similar effects of lowering risk of Parkinson disease and MS
- Custs risk of stroke by 43%
- Lessons risk and protects against many cancers by 60%: prostate, breast, colon, mouth and throat, esophageal, endometrial, and liver
- Improve memory lost (the older, the more improvement)