Chlamydia is a Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) that is easily detected with a laboratory test and is recommended as an annual test for those that are sexually active. Why get tested?
- Chlamydia sometimes causes no symptoms, so you may be infected and not know it.
- Chlamydia symptoms, if present, can include pain while urinating or abnormal discharge.
- It can be transferred to a partner without knowing you are infected
- Women with chlamydia are up to 5 times more likely to become infected with HIV virus and more likely to get cervical cancer
- Chlamydia can be passed from an infected mother to her baby.
- Chlamydia is under reported because people aren’t aware they have an infection and therefore do not get treated.